40 Photography Experiments is here to help you learn photography through active learning. Hands-on, at your own pace, these experiments are a fun way to learn at home, at your own pace. Take your time and think about what each experiment is asking and then try it yourself. And have fun!
Below are the topics we cover in this series. If you haven’t already, you should subscribe to the blog to receive all the daily lessons and experiments. I will be linking posts from the list below as they are written, so check back often to see what is new if you decide not to subscribe. I will be linking to my Photography Basics – A 43 Day Adventure series and if you haven’t read those topics, now might be a good time.
The series is free. There’s no catch. I am writing this series at the request from past workshop and tour students who want real-world tasks they can perform to gain practical experience with their camera. Learning photography, like any art, takes persistence and repetition and I hope this series can help you become a better photographer.
(Experiments can be completed in any order, but it may help to start from the top and work down. If a subject is not clickable, it has not yet been written.)
- Day 1 – Learn The ISO Limits Of Your Camera
- Day 2 – Focus Modes
- Day 3 – Depth Of Field – Changing Aperture
- Day 4 – Depth Of Field – Changing Focus Points
- Day 5 – Depth Of Field – Change Your Distance/Zoom
- Day 6 – Depth Of Field – Hyperfocal Concepts
- Day 7 – Composition – Rule Of Thirds
- Day 8 – Making Black Tones, Black
- Day 9 – Get Low
- Day 10 – Look At The Light
- Day 11 – Different Times Of Day = Different Light = Different Photos
- Day 12 – One Subject, Ten Photos
- Day 13 – Making White Tones, White
- Day 14 – Shooting The Full Moon At Moonrise
- Day 15 – Light Trails
- Day 16 – Sun Stars (redundant, I know, but you’ll see)
- Day 17 – Take A Portrait
- Day 18 – Panning Blur
- Day 19 – Photographing Silhouettes
- Day 20 – Photographing Shadows
- Halfway! – Are You Ready For Manual?
- Day 21 – Daylight Through Smoke Or Dust
- Day 22 – When You Change Your Focus, You Change Your Light Metering
- Day 23 – Shoot In Mid-Day Sun
- Day 24 – Candle Light
- Day 25 – Slow Shutter Speed And Bracing Your Camera
- Day 26 – Zoom Light Trails
- Day 27 – Shooting The Full Moon At Moonset
- Day 28 – Water Splash – Freeze And Blur
- Day 29 – Spot Metering
- Day 30 – Add Fill Flash
- Day 31 – Slow Shutter With Flash At Night
- Day 32 – Diffuse Your Flash
- Day 33 – City Lights
- Day 34 – Sunsets
- Day 35 – Create A Panorama
- Day 36 – Light Stuff Alongside Dark Stuff
- Day 37 – Mystery Experiment
- Day 38 – Mystery Experiment
- Day 39 – Mystery Experiment
- Day 40 – Mystery Experiment
It’s going to be a fun 40 days!
If you enjoy the series, consider learning photography first-hand on a professionally led international photo tour in Nepal or Bhutan. More information can be found at Far Horizon Photo Tours.